Sunday, October 9, 2016

A Common Theme Throughout

A common theme throughout this journey has been faith in the greater plan. As I said before, I left literally on a wing and a prayer, and each step along the way as reaffirmed my belief in the flow of the universe, and how it provides everything we need.

Passing through Chicago, I reached out to a very good friend from Mexico who graciously welcomed me into her home for a shower and a good night's sleep. Well needed, because I was driving this adventure solo….much like I travel often. I am comfortable with solo travel, because it encourages you to talk to those new people around you. And I always meet the best people. This morning, after a late-night nap in the (surprisingly cold) truck, I was feeling a bit under the weather and emotional…I guess it was partly the excitement - of finally arriving at the camp today and the reality of what is happening. I stopped to get a coffee in a local shop and was in line behind a young boy about 10. He was wearing an arm brace, and at first glance I thought maybe he had a broken elbow. He paid for his coffee and there was a dollar extra he looked over his shoulder to his aunt and called out, Aunt Lucy, is it okay if I put this in the tips? Adorable I thought, he didn’t even think about keeping it for himself. So thoughtful.

The line moved and he got his frappaccino. I noticed he forgot to get a straw, and as he looked around from his table, I began to walk over with a straw…his aunt said, there's an angel right there…he met me in the middle and smiled, said “Thank you.” It was when he walked away, that I noticed he had two prosthetic legs. I thought, that kid could have easily felt that he deserved that dollar or maybe is family needed it for his care, but no, he thought, and was probably taught that you give. That reaffirmed what I too, was taught; you do not give because you have extra, or you don’t need it, you give just because, YOU GIVE.

You cannot wait to give until you feel like you have enough, or as many more do, until you feel you have too much. Our society subconsciously teaches us that it is never enough, so you may never feel rich enough to give. But, the truth is, the majority of us have way more than “enough.” If you have two apples, you have one to give..actually you have two to give. The principle is simple.

Also, while in Chicago, I stopped at Lake Michigan. I have never seen a Great Lake before. As I did my meditation, I watched the movement of the water, it literally looked like it was breathing. And I thought how perfectly synchronized this view, this water is with the reason I am on this journey. Water is life, I thought. Water is alive; it moves, it almost looks like it breathes, and it being life then sustains life. Thousands of creatures depend upon it, and call it home. Water gives life, without water, we cannot live. And when you think about it like this, the massive importance of fresh water, it makes this battle seem so sensible.

There are two sides to this battle. One is working to protect this huge life force, water. It is working to protect the rights of people. It is working to protect the duty to honor agreements. It protects ancient tradition and culture….the first culture of the lands we call home. The other side destroys. It destroys our water - with imminent pollution. It destroys our land - the oil moved through the pipeline is from fracking. (Check out 10/5/16 blog for in-depth information on fracking). It destroys trust between people - taking back given reservation lands. There is no question which side of this battle is right, which is probably why there has been such a lack of media coverage. The average person can see how sensible this fight is. But greed outweighs sensible and right in our country. Big money comes from oil, no matter the cost. This situation also reveals the power of big oil, big corporations, big money. It is powerful enough to cause the government to violate long standing treaties and take back given lands. And if they can do this to native people, remember they can do this to anyone. 

I also realized what a duality we have in our lives. I was in Fargo, just a few hours from where the camp is, and life is busy. There are retail shops everywhere, and no visible signs of what is happening over at the pipeline. People are rushing around in the stores, buying stuff, and it really seems surreal to me. I think about how we are all so BUSY, DISTRACTED and numb to things that are happening, sometimes even in our backyard. I, just like everyone, am guilty of this. But it alarms me, it alarms me that things are happening all around us, and we do not notice.

It happens everywhere, if disaster is not right in your face, we often turn a blind eye to it. Its easier that way, because when we begin to wake up, and acknowledge the things around us, we get emotional, fearful, angry, and many would just rather remain numb.

I met a beautiful soul this evening, who lives in Fargo, and is originally from a few hours south. She told me stories about how the southern towns boomed from oil, and that there are many very wealthy people around these places whose money came from oil. At one point she worked for a bank, and she said the royalties that come into peoples accounts from oil rights, etc. are ridiculous amounts of money. That makes sense I thought, that this pipeline is going right through here. She was an enlightened, positive soul full of energy, and the more we talked, the more I realized how much we had in common. It’s a very cool thing when you drive across the country alone, stop at a coffee shop and meet a friend you totally would have picked out if you had the choice. It really makes me feel protected and cared for and grateful, so grateful for the flow of the Universe. I told everyone that I would be fine, because I would meet people out here. And, she also donated to the cause, again another affirmation that the money always comes when you need it.

Another beautiful blessing occurred when I ran into the store to get a few supplies the other day, I came back and there was an anonymous note tucked into my door, see photo, saying “for the cause….” Someone had actually emptied all the cash in their wallet to contribute. Love and support are all around us, waiting, you just have to reach out a bit. Thank you beautiful person, I wish many blessings for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment