Saturday, October 22, 2016

Working with the Water Protectors

These posts are directly from my journal, so they may not seem edited, or even grammatically correct, however, I want them to be authentic, from the heart and somehow convey the random thoughts that go through your head as you are experiencing something that is literally hard to explain.  So, please be patient as you read my words which at times ramble and jump from place to place.  The truth is when you are living under duress, in a minimalist way, within the changing elements and under the watchful eye of daunting forces,  my thoughts presented themselves just like this:


Soon after I arrived, even though I am a photographer and a writer, I chose to be present 100%, I chose to be a water protector and work and become a part of this movement, instead of taking pictures, interviewing people and writing “the story”. I ENTERED the story whole-hearted.

You learn a lot of things primitive camping, like that when it is 20 degrees out, even the honey doesn’t want to come out of its container. Tribal, I know but the point is that we forget the little things we are blessed with every single day, we go about our routines, in our overly convenient lives, not thinking about how much struggle and challenge life can be. The life here is challenging, but the sacrifices seem small in relation to the blessings.

Life at camp, is challenging, simple, and based on necessity.  There is food- but its random and not an overabundance, clothing-based on practicality, (not the latest trends or looks), you have shelter- usually a tent, tipi, longhouse – depending on what you bring, build or are gifted.  There is water available but no running water.  Our big luxury is the portolets that were brought in for obvious reasons. 

The interesting thing is that you really don’t want for much there.  Even in the times that the food was gone and someone showed up late, I literally witnessed twice people sharing their food with the latecomer.  There is a sense of unity, of family-that "we are in this together".  Including the family squabbles that happen.  But overall, There is a flow to things, not according to time (I never saw a clock or heard anyone speak of TIME) but it’s a flow that works almost magically.  You seem to find the person you are looking for, without any technological way to connect with them.  At first you may be a little taken back by the lack of structure but then you settle into it and move along with it.  And once you do, you relax, and it feels amazing.

I believe that these grounds are sacred.  I repeatedly witnessed things manifesting.  If you don’t believe in this idea, then perhaps you should GO there.  I think you will experience the same.  All day long, either I or someone else would speak or think something and it would later happen or appear when we needed it.  It happened so often it began to seem commonplace.

What you learn about the camps is that they are work camps.  Most everyone has a “job” more better thought of as your personal camp mission and looking around you see a bunch of worker bees created a hive of harmony.  There are some”tourists” who show up for a little amount of time, walk around taking photos, talking to people, some even eating from the camp kitchens as no one is ever turned away for food.  I feel a bit sorry for them, even though they are seeing whats happening from the outside, they are really missing the best part.  Being a part of the mission, the unity of purpose and connection with several like minded people is one of the greatest blessings.  The other, witnessing the biggest gathering of Natives in our time, being a part of that energy and just hearing the songs, joining in the prayers, it helps you to appreciate what an AMAZING culture it is.  I think every school should bring kids to this gathering, I don’t thing you will ever find a more diverse and intense cultural study the our Native People in one sacred place.   The place….when I sat looking over the Cannonball river, and the big open landscape made it very real to me that this country is Lakota Country, this is the land of Sitting Bull.  That realization that I was walking on the ground of such a profound spiritual man and leader truly gave me goosebumps,  followed by a huge smile.    As I walked around, all of the time, I felt that his prayers, and the prayers of the Lakota people had truly blessed this land.  It just feels like a magical place!


No comments:

Post a Comment